Sunday, December 21, 2008

My breakdown... chinese-made goods.

While I try my best to avoid the products that are "made in China" or other southeast asian countries... somethings just are not made in the USA anymore.

I don't know how much longer I can wear my converse. they are completely falling apart and separating where the canvas meets the rubber. also i must avoid wet pavement at all costs (not just puddles... and wet grass? forget about it - my socks will get soggy after 5 steps.

But what other brands of casual sporty shoes can I wear? I don't really have many options... and there aren't many Converse my size at 2nd hand stores... suggestions?

Computers:
I am limited to my connectivity due to the fact that I have a desktop. I am rarely home - and I have so much information that I am asked to access regularly - that if I didn't commit so many random thing to memory - I'd be of little help to those I help. And I like Apple computers. It's taken me a few years to get used to them. I use them at 2 of my jobs... and while I still don't "get" many things - I have really grown to love them.
So I want to get a laptop... a macbook... I don't need the ones with all the bells & whistles... I'm not doing any sound mixing or heavy duty photo editing... Just blogging, online banking, emails, writing letters and creating spreadsheets...

But while they're designed here in the USA... they are all made in Asia. So what are my options? get a used computer... a model that might be as old as this desktop I'm sitting at... or just breaking down and getting a brand-new apple.

And I've totally blown it the past few months... At Target, I got some slippers and a few other items from china... and at Williams-Sonoma as well. It was too late - I'd already walked out when I thought about where it was made.

so if I've already caved in and accidentally bought product made in china, and have plans to perhaps buy a computer made in china (and a printer as well)... is it OK for me to get new Converse?

I don't know what to do anymore.

No comments: