Sunday, December 14, 2008

American Cars?

Julie sent me an interesting article on the origin of cars - What Makes a Car American?

While I've been on a quest to buy locally/domestically... when it comes to automobiles, I've remained strangely ambivalent to the "Big 3". I actually feel a lot of contempt towards said 3 - especially after the hubris exhibited when the CEOs of said companies went to DC asking for a bailout.

And if up to 85% of the manufacturing is done internationally - then why should i support them... I'd rather go for a Toyota anyway - they make great cars. here, mostly.

I get the whole ripple effect and how their shutting down would be devastating to the U.S. economy... (the factories, the showrooms, the salespeople...) but if the companies were run so terribly all these years, they don't deserve to get bailed out.

My car is really on it's last legs - it's almost 20 years old. I will probably be in the market for a new car (or used - just new to me) sometime this year... but I hardly ever considered a Ford, GM or Chrysler vehicle. ever. They don't move me.

What I'm looking for - fuel economy, low-emissions, good design, reliability, low-maintenance.

I still have a fondness for the Mini Coopers.

On the less sensible side... i've always loved these:

No comments: