Sunday, December 28, 2008

Citrus time... analysis coming soon

Apples are fading away...

but it's Citrus time in SoCal.

I'm not the biggest fan of oranges - too acidic sometimes. And I used to hate Grapefruits, but I forced myself to learn to like them. I love Lemons & Limes, but never seem to use them enough even though I buy some almost every week.

Today was a quickie market day. I just returned from Reno this morning - so I popped over to the Larchmont Market to get a few items so I'd have some fresh foods this week.

So this winter, I'll do an in-depth analysis of citrus fruits. The Larchmont market seems to be an afterthought market. Vendors sent by the farmers... but not many of the real farmers themselves. Although the lady I got my persimmons from & who sells delicious looking homemade jams seemed like she was personally involved with her farm.

Last year was the first time I'd ever had a Pommelo.

Mellower than a grapefruit - with a very thick pithy part of the skin. I bought one today. Along with an Oroblanco grapefruit and a ruby red grapefruit, & some Meyer Lemons.

Next week, I'll visit the Santa Monica or Hollywood market to find some vendors with interesting varieties of citrus... to find out what is out there - and learn (and share) about my new discoveries.

No comments: