Friday, July 11, 2008

Vitamin D and the paradox that is me.

I live down the street from Ralph's but I walked about a mile round trip to go to Trader Joe's.

I always attributed the fact that I don't look my age to the fact that I don't smoke, and I stay out of the sun (or wear sunblock). But that's slightly untrue. I don't like wearing sunblock either - I'd rather not slather on all those chemicals that just get absorbed into the skin.

Besides, I've been reading articles that say people today aren't getting enough Vitamin D. So at 3:30 this afternoon, I walked to Trader Joe's.

I don't know why, but the past 2 weeks, I've been wanting to eat things with Mayo... and I've been out. So that was one thing on my list... actually 2 - I love their Wasabi Mayo - gives my tuna salad a nice kick, and the regular mayo for egg salad or sandwiches.

Going down the freezer aisle, I saw something that had my name written all over it... literally. "Sharon's Sorbet" in Lemon and Coconut. I'd just had coconut sorbet last weekend at that pool party (the one with those 3am ribs) and I wanted to get some... but I was on foot and it was hot. It'd have melted. hmpf!

I also didn't get the salami or the turkey - neither being organic... but I bought pancetta to go with the leeks and asparagus... go figure.

Did you know that Charles Shaw now has White Zin? I rounded the corner and thought - "oh - pink wine... I want some"... suddenly it looked like a good idea.

When I finally got home, I opened the bottle of Pinot Grigio I had in the fridge (it was 5pm) rather than the impulse buy of the white zin.; and opened up the Egg White Ranchero salad (no mayo/no cholesterol) because I was hungry and it was healthy and looked good... But didn't I go there for mayo?

It also took all my might to not go to SK's Donuts on the way back. I'd made a pact with myself a while back. I've been wanting to go there ever since reading all the reviews on Yelp.com (especially the one from my friend Antonio A. - or was it his testimonial when we talked about it?)... I'm not allowed to stop there unless I walk to SK's from home. No drive by donut stops. they are open 24 hrs - so i could always go there after the gallery/bar. But I haven't. And I still have yet to go there. The fact that all I had was 60 cents in my purse kinda played a part - so I didn't cross the street and I avoided temptation. Also - If I'm gonna have a donut, I should make that special walking trip just for the donut - not as part of my grocery shopping.

My friend Maria told me about how 7-11 was giving out free slurpees today (since it's July 11th - 7/11) and I thought how perfect - It would go so well with that donut. and there is one just 2 blocks from SK's. The idea sounded nice. But no go. I'm saving my calories for when I go to Melisse on tuesday!

No comments: