Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I miss the freedom of taking the bus!

As I mentioned at the beginning of this month - I didn't get a bus pass for July.  

I didn't think I'd use it that much... I've only taken 2 rides - $2.50 worth... but if I'd had my bus pass, I would have used it several more times.  

Case in point: Sunday I went to a friend's BBQ. He picked me up so I was without transport.  But he lived near some familiar routes.  I ended up crashing on the couch because we were all much too spirited to drive anywhere (even at 3am after eating ribs).  Come the morning - I wanted to go home... but I was dependent on a ride since I also had no cash or change for the bus fare... Sigh.

Today, on the 9th day of the month - I took my boss's car to the dealership to get service.  If it wasn't for the shuttle service, I'd have been stranded. But I don't know how I'm going to get back to the dealership to pick up the car.  Perhaps I'll have to cab it.  It's on her dime - so the time I'd be on the bus makes up for the cab fare... but taking a Taxi seems so extravagant.  

I like being mobile and self sufficient - and I actually got used to just hopping onto the bus or metro and just tapping my card (TAP - transit access pass - silly acronym).  The extra walking and stair-climbing was a good way to keep active too.  Now I have to make sure I have enough $1 bills & quarters - or $5 for the day pass if I'm taking 4 or more rides.  

Maybe I'll see if I can fill up my card with a certain number of rides - to see how long it lasts me. Perhaps the $62 I paid for the month would actually last me 2 months? Or maybe It will only last me 20 days... I should have counted all the rides I'd taken the previous 2 months... If only I was so organized.  Go figure - I keep 2 family's paperwork in order - but when it comes to my own...

And what's the difference between Perhaps & Maybe?  I switched them up in the above paragraph... why would one use perhaps over maybe & vice versa? hmmm...

2 comments:

Kim said...

whats the cost of the bus pass? maybe do that on the bosses dime instead of the cab. then you may save the rest of the month.

sharon said...

I wish i could - but this boss needs me to have a car - I run errands and have to drive.

I don't have a traditional desk job - If i did, for sure I'd ask for reimbursement.

$62/month - pretty steep. but soon a tank of gas will surpass that. it takes $52 to fill my tank now.