Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Almost felt bad. Almost.

I was at Big 5 today, making purchases for my employer.

While in line at the register, I heard the cashiers asking people for their Zip Codes.

Why?

I'm sure there are tons of market research reasons why they ask for zip codes. But if I was to answer their question, which zip code should I give? My employer's zip code (which would match the billing address of the credit card I'd have used)? or my personal zip code?

There was a time that Pep Boys used to ask for a zip code from every customer - and the transaction couldn't be done without giving up this information... I vaguely remember this being discussed in the news - this is like 5 years ago or more even... They had to change their policy due to some judge's decision...

So when I was asked: "May I have your zip code"

My reply was a simple: "No" (not a short or sharp "no" but not a drawl either...) - I almost felt like a bitch just saying that.

Of course, she's just doing her job, asking for the zip code according to store policy... but really, why are they asking for this information? can't we just purchase our goods and go on?

As long as I'm disrupting the system, I'll consider my job done.

1 comment:

Hades said...

I always say "Sorry, I'm homeless" whenever companies/stores ask me for ANY information. I even make up a name...like...silky snoodles....for a laugh. That way they have nothing.