Monday, July 7, 2008

My new pet project

I live in an apartment. I don't have any plot of land to plant a fruit orchard or vegetable garden.

But my friend Mike lives in a house in Burbank. And there's no lawn... just dirt...

However in the back, he'd recently planted tomatoes & basil - both of which were thriving.

I want to create a garden in his yard... something drought tolerant, and edible...
but my goal is to get it to be something like this, an Urban Homestead. A fruit tree would be a nice touch - but not till much later.

I'll start with the easy stuff - Rosemary, Sage, Thyme... and just for Mike (who requested something fragrant and ornamental) Lavender.

Too bad he doesn't have the greatest kitchen... He likes the way I cook vegetables... We have little "Diner Club" gatherings where we try new recipes with what's in season. But they're at my apartment where all I have growing is some rosemary, thyme & chives.

This was a couple of months ago...Ara, me & Mike - Beer-can chicken, waffles (courtesy of Mike... uh... thanks), Asparagus with Leeks & Pancetta, and salad...

2 comments:

-K- said...

I just had some home grown tomatoes this evening. I highly recommend them.

Hades said...

Beer-can-chicken....Yummmm! I want some..