Saturday, July 12, 2008

4th Street Stairs

Destination: Santa Monica
Mission: Conquer the 4th street stairs
Partner in Masochism: Lisa
Goal: 5 sets

8:30 am. 
I overslept.
Wanted to be out by 8.
Called Lisa - woke her up.
-Stairs?
-I'm sleeping

15 min later
phone beeps - new text
"I'm up"
I'd fallen asleep again

Roll out of bed.
threw on some clothes - grabbed a quick bite.
out the door in 20 min.

Santa Monica
75 degrees already
perfect day.
too many fit people running up and down those stairs.
can we do this?
it's been almost a year. 
we used to do this regularly.

down.
not so bad

up. 
torture.
seriously - my heart is pounding.
and we went slowly!!
walk to the concrete stairs.

down
legs like jello
walk to the wood stairs

up
must take break
up
gasp
omg.
perhaps i should start to embrace my curvy figure?
no no no - it could use less curve.
must keep climbing.

me: we used to do 8 sets?
lisa: look - if we go down now, we're halfway through.
me: okay... doesn't sound that bad.

down the wood stairs.
legs are shaky 
take a 30 sec. break at the bottom
let the fast ones start first

up
whatever you do
just
don't 
look 
up!

woohoo! 
one set to go
down
wow - i have a little energy now
not as bad as before
Lisa: you're gonna be feeling this tomorrow
me: and Monday

up
last time!
halfway there - almost done
Lisa: lets do one more set - we'll walk to the concrete steps 
Me: Wha? (well - the third set is the worst - now it's not so bad)

top of the concrete setps
looking down
legs are really shaking now
done.
walk to the wood steps.
up
I like being behind slow people - so I can go slowly and not feel rushed.
but not that slow
so hard to pass someone
but i actually pass
heart bursting out of rib cage
can't slow down now

top! we made it!!!

Mission: accomplished! and more
Final count: 6 sets, plus 1/2 mile walk (approx.)

note to self: if i plan to go to the farmer's market - bring another shirt.

purchases: white peaches, apricots, artichokes, asparagus, stuff for a gazpacho.
forgot to put shopping bags in car. had to use plastic bags. 
must re-use.

what's easier - fasting or this type of torture?
must cut back on chocolate.
and no more late night after bar meals with megan.
should also cut back on tequila.

I'm exhausted. must take a nap.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hee hee! I liked this one. let's go soon!

sharon said...

i'm ready for more torture... how about this sunday?