Monday, September 29, 2008

I can't seem to get enough!

Tonight's dinner featured more goodies from the Hollywood Farmer's Market.

I sliced up a "Green Zebra Stripe" tomato & a "Pink Stripe" tomato (which didn't really have any pink coloring that I could tell - it was mostly yellow with some variations to the tone)- and drizzled them with some Adam's Ranch Olive Oil, and finished them with a sprinkling of Maldon sea salt & pepper.

The main course of the meal was leftover Halibut (not from the farmer's market - but safe according to the Seafood Watch guide) with a chunky tomato vinaigrette (using another heirloom which i can't remember the name of, sorry).

Quite colorful considering that all I had was fish & tomato.

I'll still be eating more tomatoes this week as you can see from the platter of them on the counter behind my dinner plate.

I also purchased a Winter Squash. I guess I'll roast it some time this week. I've never tried this variety. actually - I'm a novice at Winter Squash... Only tried roasting a butternut squash once, and Pumpkin Pie from Marie Calendar's doesn't count.

This week in Apples:

I want to know more about them. There are so many varieties out there. So I'm buying one of each to see which variety i truly like most.

Old-Fashioned Red Delicious: It has a matte red skin with green striping to it (no picture - I ate it already). Different looking from what we find in the supermarket - the highly waxed - gleaming deep-red apples. The texture wasn't as mealy as the supermarket type (++) but it still had that "Red-Delicious" taste - which I don't like.

Next up - Jonagold & one that starts with the letter 'M' and i think there was a 'u' in it... but I forgot the name. It's green.

Ratings
***** - Love it
**** - a keeper
*** - ok - good for variety
** - meh - I've had better
* - never again

Old-Fashioned Red Delicious apple **
Pink Stripe Tomato - *****
Green Zebra Stripe Tomato - ***
Lindner's Bison Kebab cubes - *****
Lily's Eggs (Chicken) - *****
Lily's Eggs (Eggs) - *****

No comments: