Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hurray! and Doh!


Carrington got me 2 wonderful books for my birthday... one of which I've been wanting for ages... The Santa Monica Farmers' Market Cookbook (pictured right). I was so excited to start using it... and I was going to prepare for todays shopping - find a new recipe to try out that's especially perfect for what's in season NOW.

But Thursday night, I went to my friend Lisa's to cook dinner with her. Tuesday she had me over for shrimp with this amazing salsa & broccoli.

It was my turn to cook - but since my roommate always makes the most obnoxious gagging sounds & snide comments when I cook fish - I took it to Lisa's.

I took both the above book & my other favorite from Cooks Illustrated (pictured left) and forgot them at her place.

She left for Napa this weekend.

Sigh.

But we had the most amazing Halibut!

Halibut with Chunky Tomato Salsa

INGREDIENTS

1/2 pint cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, each tomato quartered (about 1 cup)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 medium shallots , minced (about 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons lemon juice
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Mix tomatoes with salt and pepper in medium mixing bowl; let stand until juicy and seasoned, about 10 minutes. Whisk shallots, basil, lemon juice, and oil in small mixing bowl; add to tomatoes and toss to combine. Pour vinaigrette over pieces of cooked fish and serve immediately.

I'd just prepared this meal for my boss - so I took some of the the extra salsa with me to Lisa's - along with some spinach to wilt with garlic. (the boss got baby potatoes with butter and chopped mint & a caprese salad)...

This recipe is a keeper - so easy! and the fish didn't leave any lingering smell at all. I bought a piece of wild caught halibut - about .6/lb - came to $13 - including the tomatoes & spinach, it came to about $20 total or $10 each. a bit of a splurge - but not breaking the bank. Healthy & light.

(must get book back asap!)

No comments: