Sunday, September 28, 2008

How do you Melt Meat?

While vacationing with my parents in Julian, CA - about 15 years ago - we decided have dinner in that charming little mining town in San Diego County before our long drive home. We had a choice of 2 restaurants... we went to the Fondue place.

That was my first time having fondue. We had a cheese fondue - and dipped pieces of bread, blanched broccoli, and some other veggies... I remember the waitress now - explaining how to stir from the bottom, and to shake off the excess cheese "twirl [the fondue fork/skewer] against the rim of the pot - and never, ever tap!"

Mom: You know, we have a fondue set.
Me: Really? How have I never noticed it?

Yes, my parents had a Fondue set - probably a wedding present or something... I guess it was the rage back in the late 60's early 70's...

About a week after our return home, I asked about the fondue set. She pulled the whole set out.



Me: what are all those little dishes for?
Mom: for the condiments.
Me: what condiments? we didn't have condiments with our cheese.
Mom: it's for the Meat Fondue.
Me: (completely perplexed and horrified) How do you melt meat?

apparently, you cook cubes of meat in hot oil that's burning in the pot... no cheese involved.

The fondue set has been in my possession for the past 8 years and last night was the 2nd time I used it - and the first time for meat.

When I bought the cubes of Bison meat from Lindner's Bison at the Hollywood Farmer's Market, I saw a suggested recipe for fondue. I popped the package into the freezer when I got home. I wasn't ready to cook it yet.

I was having computer issues, and I bartered computer clean-up assistance in exchange for a home cooked meal. Even though i thought I'd washed my hands of him... turns out, I needed Mike's help... he does a great job of pissing us all off (within our circle of friends) - but somehow he just weasels himself back in. pretty smooth if you ask me.

He got his bison he'd wanted.

I got my computer fixed.

While waiting for the meat to marinate, & the computer to de-frag - we walked to the museum (LACMA) . We did a brisk walk through - from the Ahmanson building - where the Magritte painting (at right with Mike) is now housedto the new BCAM - then back home through Hancock Park (that's the name of the park) where the La Brea Tar Pits are.

You know - the Idea of Fondue is so much better than the Reality. It's such a pain set the whole thing up.

BUT - IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!

was it the bison?
was it because it was basically fried in a pot of oil?
was it the marinade?

Whatever the combination - the meat was delicious.

And in keeping with that 60's spirit (I've been watching Mad Men - great show), we had cocktails with the meal - Bloody Marys - followed by vanilla flavored Brandy on the front porch with cigarettes. Not only did I smoke... I chain smoked - about 5!! That's all they do on that show - smoke, drink, & have affairs.

All I can say - I was hurting this morning.

But I still made it out to the Hollywood F.M. and spoke with Mrs. Lindner - and bought a brisket. It's in my freezer now.

No comments: