Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What the Chuck?

I've nearly completely destroyed my Chuck Taylors... They're my favorite type of casual shoes... and I love my blue ones which are fading in the most interesting way...

yet they are almost out the door and into the trash... i've been afraid to look - but i checked it out anyways... yup, made in China.

I went online to check out the website - they do custom shoes as well... I figured perhaps these custom shoes were manufactured in workshops here in the United States...

I called the toll-free number and spoke to someone in customer service. I asked where the shoes were made - the custom ones...

Customer Service: "they're manufactured overseas"
me: "in China?"
CS: "yes"
me: "even the custom ones? isn't Converse an American company?"
CS: "Converse is an International company with offices in many countries"
me: "but what is the history of Converse? where is it from?"
CS: "it was created in and originated in Massachusetts"
me: "so it was American in origin - but now nothing is made here in the U.S."
CS: "all manufacturing is done overseas"
me: "sigh. I'm not going to be able to purchase them anymore - I'm trying to stick with purchasing from companies that don't outsource american jobs."
CS: "there are many Americans employed at these factories overseas"
me: "but they are not here"
CS: "no"
me: "thank you for your time and for clearing this up for me. Unfortunately for me, I won't be able to buy any more of my favorite shoes."
CS: "i'm sorry about that too"

she was friendly and all - the conversation was mostly matter-of-fact in tone... what can you do?

i'm afraid to check out Vans now... though it'll probably be more of the same... anyone know of any brands that are made here in the US that are somewhat like Chuck Taylor low-top Converse All-Stars?

1 comment:

Bitter Clevelander said...

They used to be manufactured in Lumberton, NC, until Nike bought out Converse. Nike shut down the NC plant and moved the manufacturing operation "overseas" (read: China). Nike is a an execrable company, to be sure. They corrupted the last all-American shoe. May they burn in Hades.

Try these:

http://adbusters.org/campaigns/blackspot

http://www.nosweatapparel.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=NSS

Cheers,

BC