Saturday, April 12, 2008

I doubled my net worth today by taking the MTA

Ok - well maybe not my net worth... but i had no cash on hand... i grabbed $2.50 worth in quarters for my round-trip bus fare... and got compensated $5.00 for my transportation costs!

One of my pet projects is that I am a docent for the L.A. Conservancy (yes, I'm over-educated, under-employed AND I take on gigs that don't pay). They needed an extra Art Deco docent so I signed up...

Such a hot day... 85 degrees - and I'm walking around downtown for 2.5 hours in the hot sun with my group of 10 tourgoers. I placed them in the shade as much as possible while i (unfortunately) stood in the sun talking about what makes the Sun Realty building Art Deco...

Again - taking the bus was so liberating! And now i have $5 for gas since the tank's been empty for so long... woot!

Can I tell you how much I love the library? well, they didn't have the books i wanted - so they put them on order to be sent to my local branch. I also got a different Noam Chomsky book from what i was recommended - something about propaganda and politics... I figure i may as well read up on this since both issues are at play in this blog... but wow - not paying for a book and being able to avoid the accumulation of more clutter... what a concept... why did it take me so long to come around?

saw a 3 car pile-up at the intersection of Highland and Wilshire... real ugly and sad... i saw it from the bus. I'm really liking this not-driving thing. I always take the bus/subway in NYC... why not here?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I could see you in a hat for your docent tours! that would be cool! I always wear a hat if im going to be in the sun.