Friday, April 25, 2008

Exploring

I'm naturally inquisitive. I see something that catches my eye, I start asking questions - or get closer to inspect.

One day after visiting Union Station, I saw this interesting dome poking over the top of another building... (different angle pictured here).

I wanted to get closer.

What is it? it's so cool!

It's a Post Office!



The Terminal Annex Post Office. Built in the Spanish/Mission Revival style by Gilbert S. Underwood... (who designed over 20 post offices & many vacation lodges at various National Parks... Also did the Wilshire Tower in the Miracle Mile).

Of course I wasn't satisfied just looking at it from the outside.

I got up close - check out the doorway - This is one of its twin entrances. But just to the right of this doorway was the tablet with the engraving of the dedication date, and Gilbert Underwood's name.

I also went inside and saw some fabulous murals and marble floors. Such a gorgeous building.

Since I was there, and there was no line, I went ahead and purchased some postage stamps - featuring my new dead-actor crush - James Stewart (swoon).

I like to wander in and out of buildings. Why not? There's so much to see and if I'm on foot with no car to deal with - no parking to search for... I have the freedom to move about the city.

1 comment:

-K- said...

The writer Charles Bukowski also worked there for several years.