Thursday, August 21, 2008

Seafood watch

I am prone to feeling guilty... about a lot of things... perhaps it's my Jewish heritage?

When I shop for groceries, I get especially conscientious. Although when I go out to eat, many of my principles go out the window - just because I really have no control over someone else's purchasing choices. but i digress...

My friend Gavin gave me a copy of the West Coast Seafood Guide 2008 when he went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. He obviously "gets" me.

With my cheat sheet in hand, (you can view your own regional copy here) I went to Santa Monica Seafood to get some fish. I handed my card to the guy who was helping me, and asked him to show me some fish from the green column - ahem - the affordable ones... Pacific Halibut is a great fish... so expensive. Same with king salmon...

I'm not a fan of Red Snapper. I never remember this when I go shopping. I'm such a newbie with fish. All I really know is Black Cod (which I do with this Miso Glaze), Salmon (wild caught) - which I'm used to cooking now... and Tuna in a can (which I try to limit due to mercury concerns)...

But everything else... I'm clueless. I bought some Tilapia too. Haven't figured out how I want to cook it yet. But it's inexpensive, safe on my list, and I know i've had it before and liked it.

It's been a while since I've been to a farmer's market. I'm feeling disconnected. I miss the fresh fruits. Though Lucy's fig trees have been full of fruit & i've gotten my fill for the summer. I miss apples. I'm looking forward to the local apple season.

No comments: