Sunday, August 24, 2008

I've heard the problems... what's the solution?

I like audiobooks.

I don't feel as guilty just sitting and reading a book. I can do chores such as cleaning or ironing or working out while listening to something i'm interested in.

I'm listening to "An Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan.

While only on disc 3 of 13, I've learned how the Industrial Military Complex is driving our agricultural system, why corn has taken over, and how absolutely depressing this all is. Of course, I've completely over-simplified this... the whole big picture would be impossible for me to convey without regurgitating everything from the book... you'll just have to read it.

So what's the solution?

Where is one to start? I listen to this, get depressed... feel completely impotent - how can my changes have any effect on the world?

And despite all I'm saying here on this blog, when I'm "out" - be it eating-out, out-of-town, out-on-the-town, out-at-a-friend's house... I'm always finding ways of cheating my own principles.

I make allowances that I can't expect everyone to change because of what I say... but then when left to my own devices - outside of my home - I just make allowances.

Recently I started drinking Whiskey again. I made the switch from those yummy raspberry kamikazes and/or tequila for some silly reason. I was dressed very "vamp-y" one night at the gallery, and a vamp wouldn't drink a kamikaze - she would drink whiskey. But whiskey is made from corn.

Now I'll be damned if i stop having a libation whilst at the gallery. I tried to develop a taste for gin a while back. can't do it. I also don't tolerate liqueurs too well either... so what can I switch to now?

And pretty much the only mixer at the bar that doesn't have High Fructose Corn Syrup is Dole Pineapple Juice... Ok... I guess i'll have to search for a new drink...

Wow - leave it to me to make a link from audiobooks to what I'm gonna drink from now on.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

jameson and diet coke is delicious! too bad I don't have a freezer that works. I miss my ice cubes :(

alcohol has enough calories so as much as I like the juice mixers I'd rather just double up on the alcohol ;-)

sharon said...

oh lisa, you know how i hate diet drinks!

jameson rocks.

or rather

jameson neat while at your house.

Unknown said...

try a B-52 Bomber: 1/3 Kahlua + 1/3 Baileys + 1/3 Grand Marnier, layered, poured over a cherry and on the rocks. Its the best! Not too sure about the sugar content, but its worth it!!

sharon said...

B-52's are deadly for me. they're yum, most def... but the worst thing for me.
Baileys = cream based - i'll break out
Kahlua = yum - but i get red and blotchy
Grand Marnier = ditto - red and blotchy.

I'm a hard liquor type of gal ;)