Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Food is Political

I've been blogging for about 7 months now!

I'm still an idealist, and I still talk about politics here and there but it's changed over time, and i contemplated re-naming it - or starting a new blog.

The majority of my topics deal with food. Even before i read Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma", I was talking about farmer's markets & buying locally. But I just read the Cliff's Notes version (by Michael Ruhlman) of Michael Pollan's 8,000+ word essay in the New York Times Magazine. I've also started reading said 8,000+ word essay "Farmer in Chief" and right there from the start Pollan states that food is political.

I'm glad to see that we're on the same page since I respect what he says. I'm still on the waiting list with the L.A. Public Library for his follow up to "The Omnivore's Dilemma" called "In Defense of Food". I was around 100th on the list. I wonder how long it'll take. I got the book this time rather than the audio book. I hope it doesn't completely depress me like The O.D. did.

On a side note: I ordered my Thanksgiving Turkey from a local farm (healthy family farms in Ventura county). It's $4/pound ($80 for a 20 pound bird - yikes!) It's being raised humanely and not being fed any corn or soy... I may take a ride up to the farm one of these weekends to see the living conditions. So I'm cooking the Turkey, but it seems that we might have too many people and not enough bird... so my cousin's going to grill a tri-tip, and someone might bring a ham... well, at least we're heading in the right direction... er, make that "i'm trying to coax them into the right direction".

No comments: