Sunday, October 19, 2008

Autumn!


Santa Monica (Saturday) & Hollywood (Sunday)
Poblano Chiles - 75cents for the 2
Keffir Limes & leaves - $1.50
Pomegranites - $1.25 each
Sweet Potatoes - $2/lb.
Pears - Asian & Bartlett $2.50/lb.
Persimmons - $2.50/lb.
Pumpkins - mini 50 cents each
Apples - $2.60/lb. (various)
Apples - $3/lb. (large fuji)


Today is October 19th... Technically it's Autumn... but so far this month, the average temperature has been in the 80's! Well - at least I'm seeing the changes at the produce stands.
I looked at the weather forcast for the week... It's gonna be in the 90's again this wednesday. WTF?

While perusing the Santa Monica Farmer's Market Cookbook, I saw an "autumn" recipe using Keffir Limes & leaves. I've never looked for them before - but I never thought I'd find them... but I found them at Santa Monica on Saturday. So I bought them - but i couldn't remember what else went in that recipe! So I returned to the market Sunday in Hollywood to get the Sweet Potatoes to roast with the Poblano Chiles - and use the juice of the Keffir limes... there's more too it, but those are the main ingredients.

The more i'm trying them, the more I'm loving Persimmons - these are the Fuyu variety. I finally saw the Hachiya variety on Sunday - but I already over-bought. Next week perhaps. I got more pomegranites to make another one of those salads... and some baby arugula & more watercress (not pictured).

No comments: