Sunday, October 19, 2008

All about Apples

At the Santa Monica Farmer's Market - Saturday October 18, 2008


And this was just half the stand! This was the last week for Spitzenbergs... They were rather tiny too. Such a short season. All the apples were priced at $2.60/lb so i could mix & match. I took notes as to what I bought.


Yeah - that's my shadow. The light was so bright i couldn't see the image in the viewfinder. Oh well. (my pinky was raised... how dainty - haha)


L-R top row - Spitzenberg, Gold Rush, Fuji
center - Muutsu
bottom - Enterprise & Winesap

I tried an Enterprise today. The texture was nice - it had a good crunch. Not very juicy. Flavor was mild - and I was really trying to taste it to distinguish the flavors. It was alright. It's a pretty apple - great colors. But I'd chose others over this variety. I'll try cooking some of the others - maybe the flavors come out in baking.

My personal apple rankings (of the recently sampled varieties):
Spitzenberg - *****
Fuji - *****
Enterprise - ***
Gala - **1/2
Jonagold - **
Old Fashioned Red Delicious - *
regular Red Delicous - no star

No comments: