Saturday, November 1, 2008

Inspiration

I was looking for inspiration.

I found it.

In looking for new breakfast preparation & presentation ideas, I stumbled across a blog called Simply Breakfast . Jen is a photographer who takes the most gorgeous photos of her breakfasts. No text. Just a great shot. So now I'm taking pictures of some of my meals.

This way, I can see how my diet changes with the seasons & moods.

I'm currently loving persimmons. This is a Giant Fuyu. I love the sand-dollar pattern it makes when sliced crosswise.

I was planning on going to Santa Monica this morning with Lisa to do a workout on the stairs, hit up the market, then pop into Santa Monica Seafood. I'm skipping the stairs however since my hair is still looking good from last night's 60's (Mad Men) inspired Halloween ensemble. Seriously - I don't know how women could tolerate curlers. Hence my reluctance to mess it up less than 24 hours later.

Now that I've started buying Jam/Preserves from the farmers at the Farmer's markets - I can never go back to the super-market varieties.

Harry's Berries makes an excellent Strawberry jam. Just recently, they had Raspberry jam at the market. They only made 48. I bought 2 jars. So good! They haven't made Blackberry Jam for several years - apparently their crop hasn't been plentiful enough in recent years - and almost all get sold fresh at the market. But I did find Blackberry Jam from another stand.

I also keep purchasing Apple Jelly from Ha's Family Orchards. Lisa gave me this great recipe for Salmon with a Horseradish/Apple Jelly glaze. But somehow the jelly all gets consumed before i can do that salmon.


I made breakfast for my dad the other day. He likes the convenience of opening a pack of that overly-processed, sugar-laden sorry-excuse some people call oatmeal.

At my place, he got Over-easy eggs with chives, half a persimmon, and half of each of 2 different apples - Spitzenberg & Gold Rush. Lucky for him, I had some sprouted-grain bread in the freezer, and some butter. I rarely ever eat bread but he couldn't even conceive of the idea of having eggs without toast. While he was eating, he was my captive audience - and I broke down why his oatmeal is such a manufactured marketing ploy to make him think he's getting something healthful while in reality it is all concocted to sell less nutrition with more packaging to spur the economy... I'll spare you the details... but if you're interested in hearing the breakdown, drop me a line.

Whatever. I haven't been sick for months (I usually get colds every 2 months - i should have had at least 3 by now). I stopped taking vitamins. I do swallow a spoonful of apple cider vinegar every morning. I eat a varied diet giving me tons of vitamins. I rarely use the microwave. I hardly ever buy processed foods. Twizzlers not-withstanding.

No comments: