Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I waited almost 2 hours for the bus????

When: Saturday Night
Where: Hollywood Blvd. at Cahuenga
Time: 12:30am

Theoretically, I'd have been home by about 1:15am depending on if I'd get the connecting bus on Wilshire or if I'd have had to walk.

Actual arrival time: 3:10 am.

The 217 bus runs once an hour (owl service) and should pick up from Hollywood and Cahuenga at 35 past the hour.

I arrived at 12:30 - 5 minutes early.

and waited

and waited

saw the Eastbound 217 go by

still waited

it's 1 am now.

still waiting...

(overheard: "hey - check it out - that bitch [me] is still waiting there - hahah")

mortified - i glanced at my watch

now it's 1:30 - time for the next bus to come...

crickets? not even... just the sounds of honking/sirens/loud drunk people... Hollywood Blvd. is a traffic jam - with crazy drivers...

another Eastbound 217 goes by.

some homeless 19 year old kid from Idaho started talking with me. I was thankful for the conversation... he'd noticed me an hour earlier (imagine an exaggerated eye roll here).

Now it's past 2am. The bars are all closing down... and I'm still waiting!

What time does the bus come?

2:15!!!

I was there for 1 3/4 hours. trying to be responsible - reduce congestion - avoid drunk drivers... doing my part... but if the bus that's supposed to run once an hour comes almost 2 hours late, why would I ever subject myself to the humiliation and waste of time ever again?

True it was congested - traffic was barely crawling. The trip that takes 20 minutes was about 40. But still - 2 buses should have passed during the time I waited... I saw 2 eastbound buses go by - why not West bound?

To add insult to injury:

The bus pulls up at Wilshire just as the Wilshire bus is stopped at a red. I run to the bus - and it's Standing-Room-Only.

She didn't even open the doors for me.

It's 2:45 in the morning - and she leaves me - a single white female standing on the curb.

#$*% and @!^%

I had to walk the rest of the way and got home around 3am.

I'm NEVER EVER EVER taking the bus on a Friday or Saturday night EVER AGAIN!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thats both wild and sickening. I just dont know that i will promote my kids riding the bus. it just doesnt seem like the city cares about the public transit enough. I wish the bus system in LA was more like Seattle or BART. at least you can count on those transit lines. time for carpooling.