Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bristol Farms in a pinch?

I went into the Beverly Hills Bristol Farms yesterday - just to do some research.

Wow they have beautiful foods!

But... I still have reservations about their meats...

Garth, who works in the meat department, saw that I was looking but not buying - so he engaged me in a conversation that I wouldn't have ventured in, but he drew it out of me...

He wanted to know why I was seeking grass-fed beef as opposed to the beef they carried which is valued for its superior flavors and marbling. Garth explained that their cows are not pumped with hormones or antibiotics (good, and good) - and while BF considered carrying grass-fed beef, they opted against it because most of the available Grass-Fed beef comes from Uruguay. Kinda far - and not good for that carbon footprint.

I broached the subject gingerly - I didn't want to sound like I was pontificating - I also didn't want to sound like I was an authority on the subject.

But I do have genuine concerns - so I explained about how the grains are toxic to the cows - and how they go to slaughter at such a young age (because they'll get too sick and can't live beyond the 14months) and the questions about the feed being given to the cows - whether it's GMO or not, and the fat content (good for flavor - bad for health) Omega-3 & vitamin levels... all stuff that I've mentioned in earlier posts and can be found on countless websites...

BTW - O!burger's beef comes from Uruguay... not very Local... (not that good).

I also asked about their lamb. Grass fed but grain finished... The lamb used to be imported from New Zealand - which was all grass fed - but didn't have a good shelf life once it got to the store...

But Garth seemed genuinely interested in my thoughts and perspective and why I was seeking these items. Perhaps because of our conversation, the topics we discussed might be addressed on their corporate level.

On the plus side - BF has certificates for all their vendors - and can easily trace back all sources of the food they provide. They don't carry hormone/antibiotic pumped meats... But I still won't get my chickens from them (I don't want to eat chickens fed soybeans).

3 comments:

Kim said...

A few years back i spent some time a t a lodge with some cow farmers from Ohio. In their opinion, Corn fed beef was always teh best. As opposed to grass or grain. What chicken is it that you like and where do you get it from?

-K- said...

I rarely go but yesterday I too went to BF and got three quart of organic lemonade for $4. That's the best deal I ever saw at that place.

sharon said...

Hey Kimmo -

Flavor-wise yes corn fed beef is better... it has more marbling because of the higher fat levels.

but healthwise - grass-fed beef is leaner, and has higher omega-3 levels and other vitamins as well b/c the cows are eating what they ought to be eating!

Whether it's propaganda or what... the arguments against corn/grain fed beef is that the cattle can't digest the corn as well, and it's extremely toxic to their livers.

they also go to slaughter at 14 months rather than 3-5 years because a) they get fatter quicker & b) their livers can't handle it so the cows start getting sick & dying!

So of course - the farmers would rather rotate their animals much faster by killing them younger rather than waiting 3-5 years before selling them off to the butchers.

And as for the Chickens - I get them from Lily's Farms stands at the farmer's markets... but the past few weeks - no dice - they're sold before i can get any... so I have my vendor's phone number to call him in the morning to save me one next time.

3 weeks without a chicken!!! boo.