Thursday, May 8, 2008

Traffic in Los Angeles

Yeah - traffic here sucks.

Ok, I'm dating myself here - but I remember when getting from the Westside to the Eastside wasn't all that bad... But that is ancient history now. I rarely venture west of the 405 unless it's between the hours of 10am and 2pm. If I'm in Santa Monica at 4pm on a Friday - I'm staying there til after 7pm. No need to sit on the parking lots sometimes known as the 10, Pico, Olympic, Wilshire...

The idea was floating around - to make Olympic westbound and Pico eastbound - One way streets.

THAT'S JUST CRAZY!!!!

how's this for an idea:

MAKE THE BUSES FREE DURING RUSH HOUR!!!

no - seriously - hear me out:

more people would start riding the bus ---> fewer cars on the street
people would just get on and off --->no worries about fumbling for the $1.25 or trying to iron out that crinkled-up, dog-eared One-dollar bill ---> buses would just go rather than add to the traffic jam.
a bigger cross-section of the population would start riding - perhaps making the buses feel safer like in NYC ---> it sometimes gets rather sketchy on those buses - I feel like a fish out of water most of the time.

The MTA is a money loser anyways - and the money collected from fares is barely a drop in the bucket compared to their entire operating budget. So why not do something to help get the city moving?

Test it out for a few months!

It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than converting Pico & Olympic to one way streets (which would be disastrous in my opinion).

No comments: