Friday, May 30, 2008

Do Not Disturb?

Ipod = the modern day "Do Not Disturb" sign.

I have one - don't get me wrong.

And when I wear it, I'm basically saying - "don't talk to me - i'm in my own world".

But I limit my ipod usage to when i'm on a workout machine at the gym, or flights where i'm trying to sleep... and especially when i'm sitting next to someone I have no interest in talking to.

I see so many people on the bus and the subway wearing them - but I could never do that. Even walking on the street...

I'd rather hear street sounds and keep tuned-in to the world rather than tuned-out.

I tried to listen to my Ipod one day last week while walking to the bus stop and taking the bus/subway - but I felt so vulnerable. I hated it. I felt like anyone could sneak up on me - that I was susceptible to attack. I also felt like I could miss important signals - like cars honking or sirens wailing or info from some loudspeakers. I don't understand how so many people just tune out to the world by popping those earbuds in their ears.

When I worked with the AIDS Marathon training program - so many of the runners kept insisting on listening to their ipods while running - yet as a site assistant - I had to act like a running cop by telling them to stop. I did a marathon 4 years ago (dreadful experience - had food poisoning that made my marathon last 7 hours). I didn't use an Ipod. I didn't want to - i couldn't imagine! I wouldn't have been able to hear the cheers of the crowds - the different music all around - the ipod would have taken me out of the experience.

I'd rather be awake and alert than in a zone while out and about in the city.

No comments: