Sunday, February 1, 2009

Today's breakfast

Now that I'm watching my diet again - I've returned to taking pictures of my meals. I was doing that for a while. But then i stopped around the holidays... And now my jeans are tighter...

So as I mentioned previously - I'm experimenting with citrus. Not many pix at the moment unfortch - but here's one:

Blood orange sliced into coins, goat yogurt with dollop pomegranate jelly, black tea

Blood Oranges - ** I know there are several varieties - I'm not sure which one this was. I don't even remember the vendor - so i don't know where it was grown... I'll try others. but this batch, i wasn't to crazy for.

Cocktail Grapefruit - **** I'd avoided them until last week because a couple years ago - I tried one from a Trader Joe's... i found it to be very acidic and my stomach was none too pleased. But the lady (i forgot her name - but she's really nice) told me that it should be sweeter than the Oro Blanco grapefruit. I gave it another go - and I really liked it a lot.

Oro Blanco Grapefruit - ** I know that different growing areas and early vs. late season affects the flavors and the taste... but these past few have been kinda nasty. I'll have a talk with some farmers to find out what's up.

Cara Cara Oranges - **** They have pink pulp! nice flavor. i'm not a big fan of oranges - but i like the Cara Caras

Meyer Lemons ***** My absolute favorite lemons in the world (though not technically a lemon - it's a cross between a mandarin & a lemon. Thin skin, fragrant & somewhat sweet... you can eat some of the pulp without puckering... though i wouldn't risk totally damaging my teeth by eating such acidic fruit. I love using the zest for making lemon curd - or anything else requiring lemon zest.

Page Tangerines ***** Sweet, no pips, but the skin doesn't pop right off.

Dancy Tangerines *** Good flavor, loaded with pips, easy to peel.

Satsuma Mandarins **** easy to peel, no pips, kinda touch and go with the flavor - depends on the vendor/farm - i've had great ones, and i've had blah... who knows.

No comments: