Monday, February 9, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Changes are abounding...

...And many were badly needed

Especially regarding the political regime...

But that's not what this post is about...

We all saw those posters with the words "HOPE" and "CHANGE" - and it seems to have affected a big lot of the population in many interesting/terrifying/exciting ways.

Frustration leads to exasperation... which often times leads to life altering changes... Several of my friends have recently made drastic changes in their work situations... others had those changes decided for them. But it all seems to stem from some frustration of not finding satisfaction in the stagnation in their respective workplaces.

I burned-out nearly 2 years ago. Quite a while before any of my other friends... I worked at a Mortgage company - it was a small company - by no means corporate... but I couldn't work in that office environment... There's more to life than shuffling papers...

I have a very wholistic way of thinking - very universal... this sometimes stalls me as my brain wraps around a process and it just explodes... and where do i start - and where does it go... see what i mean? I saw this whole mortgage fiasco happening in it's earliest stages... and while i was neither selling the loans, nor soliciting them - i was still helping the situaiton by compiling the paperwork and packaging loans... So even though i wasn't instigating the deals that most likely have gone sour... i was still a part of it - and i just couldn't justify it any longer. And though I hoped it wouldn't become such a terrible mess - I totally saw this fiasco coming. and i still see it getting worse (though again i'm hoping that it won't be as bad as it looks). So that's why I had to get out of there. I quit. but my "boss" (in quotes due to his ineptitude and shortsighted vision) was too proud to let me just offer 2 weeks notice... no - he fired me! Cha-Ching - i collected unemployment!

I was on the dole for quite a while. I also racked up a little bit of credit card debt - but I just needed to live a little. And I have no regrets. I was a miserable shell of a person before - with absolutely nothing going on except an unsatisfying job that i didn't believe in (not in principle - but in the way it was being done - in our company's principles... or rather lack thereof).

What am I doing now?
Still searching.
Still struggling.
Still looking for my calling
Still seeking my muse/inspiration.

But I'm a lot closer now than i was before!

I'm also much happier now, too.
I believe in the things that I do.
That means so much more to me than having some desk job working for "the man".

Can I afford all those little luxuries?
No.
Do I need them?
not really.
does anyone really need them?
newp!
they're just wants - not needs.

Cable was too expensive for me.
gone.
Flat screen TV?
why bother?
(though i was just offered and gladly accepted a tv that's much larger than my old one)
New car?
the current one still works... no need.

I knew most of the Joneses were all flash and no substance. and now that they're losing their homes with the late model suv in the driveway & all the fancy shmancy plasma TVs and the like... the ones they couldn't afford them in the first place... i'm not crying for them... BUT - where i do call FOUL is when these users/liars/cheats cry for help in the form of tax credits... they are in essence TAXING ME! That's right - those of us who didn't partake in any of these shady dealings will not benefit with any handouts... but rather our tax dollars will be going to the liars and cheats who are being faced with losing everything because they lied!

But i digress.
see what i mean about this universal thinking? i see the whole picture at once but when it comest to describing it or talking about it, i can't seem to put it in the right order - or in any order...

So perhaps these Changes will lead to all of us taking a good look at ourselves. our lives. trimming the fat. deciding what really matters.

The pursuit of happiness is the philosophical ideal that i espoused. and to me, that did not mean the pursuit of stuff.

but i also hope that companies don't keep laying off so many people. we are already being subjected to shitty customer service everywhere. don't keep giving me automated telephone service... hire humans! and hire the people within the comunity that you serve! I work at times as a personal assistant for people who are too busy to wait on hold trying to resolve issues... so they pay me to wait on hold & get things resolved. Don't you think life would become more efficient if we could call customer service and talk to someone within 1 minute?

No wonder so many of us are at a breaking point and saying ENOUGH! we definitely need changes... lots of them.

Thanks for letting me rant.

No comments: