Monday, March 31, 2008

Ralph's

I went into Ralph's supermarket today... not for myself - I had to re-stock the fridge for the family i was housesitting for. But I took this opportunity to compare prices and check on what they carry.

Eggs - all are grain-fed. and even the "organic" and "cage-free" varieties cost around $4/dozen.

Produce:

Strawberries - They're in season now - prime time for strawberries... but not at Ralph's... the small container of organic strawberries was almost $5. at the Larchmont Farmer's market i went to yesterday, they were selling 3-packs for $5 and half flats for $9.

Apples - Organic ones were from Washington - they looked like they were perfectly in season - but that's b/c they're shipped from where they are in season... or kept in cold storage for a very long time.

Asparagus - Also in season now - but at Ralph's they were $3/bunch... I found them at the Farmer's market for as low as $1.50/bunch and 3 bunches for $4.

Meats:

no Grass-fed options... - not for chicken and not for beef. they do carry a brand called Laura's Lean Beef - but i'm skeptical on that brand - must check their website...

I went up and down the aisles and was mostly uninspired by what i saw... I really have no desire to puchase any of those brand-name processed foods.

Until today - I hadn't been to a Ralph's for about a month -and i haven't been to Trader Joe's either... but what i did buy for myself - apple jelly for a recipe to make a salsa for salmon, some pancetta (i know i know - pork and processed - bad and bad) but that's for a recipe with leeks and asparagus... and chocolate (no soy lecithin in this brand).

but i would be lying if i said i've been strict in following my new shopping/eating philosophies... I do sneak some cookies - and even had some milk chocolate (no new breakouts, thank god).

baby steps... at least i've been 90% good...

No comments: