Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Co-Op

In my quest for grass-fed meats, I came across several interesting websites... www.localforage.com was an interesting one... 

From there, I saw listed a market in Santa Monica called Co-Opportunity - so i decided to take a look-see.  It's not as overwhelming a market as Erewhon.  This market was much easier to navigate - It was much more user-friendly and approachable.  

speaking of approachable - i almost ran my cart into this guy... he was wearing his bike helmet, so i'm sure he wouldn't have sustained much damage had i knocked him over... i made one of those "oops" faces and smiled and went on... 

but i guess i knocked him over the head in another respect.  He found me again down another aisle and boldly stated that he was about to leave but he had to come back in to ask if i was married or had a boyfriend... 

I blushed... 

"and you even blush in the sweetest way"

i smiled - i wasn't much for words - i'd just had my back adjusted by my chiropractor and i was there in body but i was so calm and relaxed - i simply couldn't talk. but i indicated that i was seeing someone (i lied - he was sweet but just not my type).

"well, perhaps i'll see you again, and by that time maybe your boyfriend will have been hit by a car or struck by lightning and maybe i'll have a chance to ask you out again."

i thanked him for his flattery and laughed at his charming little jokes and smiled sweetly... 

Back to the Grass-Fed animals... 

dude - it's hard to find locally raised grass fed meats.  some were from South Dakota, and others were from the east coast somewhere... kinda  defeats the purpose of getting somewhat local foods.  but i did get some hamburger meat & some frozen chicken - just to try it out.  

The eggs were $2.30 or so for the 1/2 dozen but the labels didn't quite indicate what kind of feed or living conditions the chickens were in.  the eggs were cheaper at the farmer's markets on Larchmont and Hollywood.  

tomorrow is Wednesday - the day of the big Santa Monica farmer's market... I'll go and see what they have.  I still have Rainbow Chard from Sunday, and Strawberries... but i'll scope the place out in the name of research.  maybe I'll stop at Santa Monica Seafood for some fresh fish.  

So even though i live closer to Erewhon, I'd much rather shop at Co-Op (but only if i'm already on that side of town).

No comments: