Friday, March 14, 2008

Mission Statement

I want to be the change that i want to see in the world.

My mother told me i was being foolhardy and naive... I had just declared that from here-on out, I wanted to stop purchasing goods from American Companies that are having their wares manufactured in Asia. I also declared that I wanted to start shopping locally and to buy organic goods only.

What are my goals?

I want to live locally
  1. purchase local goods
  2. eat local foods
  3. reduce waste
  4. reduce energy costs...

Why?
  1. Too many jobs have been outsourced
  2. I want to support the local economy
I want to support Organic Farming methods.
  1. I will purchase organic foods when the options are available
  2. I will avoid any and all GMO foods.
  3. I will not eat processed and prepackaged foods any longer.
  4. I will purchase grass-fed beef & lamb - avoid shellfish, and purchase sustainable/responsibly caught wild fish.
File under Miscellany:
  1. Hate those voice recognition phone menus? yeah - i loathe them. Sometimes I waste upwards of 3 minutes going thru menus when the entire call should last only 2 minutes
  2. Hate talking to someone who must read from a script? yeah - it's a waste of time and I tune out anyways.
  3. Hate talking to someone named Bill or Alex when you know they are in India? yeah - those outsourced phone banks drive me nuts.
So the purpose of this blog is multi fold... I want to create a diary of my experience. I want to list the companies that outsource jobs and ruin the U.S. economy... Many corporations have become too top-heavy and seem to care more about their shareholders than the people they employ and serve.

But rather than fight this battle alone, I want to expose the offending companies, and promote the good ones. Hopefully I can move you into action - to follow suit. This movement of mine can only become a movement if others know about it... so if you want to join me in my journey, please let me know about your experiences as well. Share this page - and lets see what we can do to save the local economy, the local environment, and even the world.

I'm not perfect... I will probably face many hurdles and be faced with limited options... and I will document these as well. What will I do when my cell phone dies? When i need a new computer? When I go to a bar and want to have a shot of Tequila?

I'm of limited means - I can't afford a new car... I drive around the city... but i may start taking the bus more often. If the subway came all the way to the Miracle Mile (rather than end abruptly at Wilshire & Western) I'd be on it regularly. But alas...

1 comment:

Julie K. said...

Drink 4 Copas - certified organic tequila! Not exactly local, but hey..