Sunday, October 11, 2009

Things i saw in europe

I went to Barcelona for my cousin Vanessa's wedding. But since i've been to Barcelona many times, i wanted to branch off and see new things...

Top of my list for Spain: Granada. why?
The Alhambra (thanks Prof. Irene Bierman, western Islamic Art History - UCLA)

Note: most of these shots were taken with my iphone. yup - that's it - just a phone camera. I was determined to travel light.

The Alhambra

Back in Barcelona, we visited one of the Gaudi' buildings I'd never been to before - also along Paseo de Gracia (further south from Casa Mila aka La Pedrera) is Casa Batllo'. Here's a detail from the rooftop - looks like the spine of a dragon. I love Gaudi. I love Art Nouveau.

Casa Batllo' (pronounced bat-yo)


Then I went to Paris. I stayed at a little hotel right next to the Pere Lachaisse Cemetery. On my last morning, before checking out of the hotel, I decided to wander through this necropolis - i call it that because it was such a huge cemetery - like a city almost - with lanes and mausoleums and crypts dedicated to families going back centuries... i was lost in awe by the stunning beauty of this quiet, peaceful final resting place for so many people. And as previously mentioned, I love art nouveau... I was simply entranced.
A random, errr, tombstone?

Again at the Alhambra - this shot below was with my iphone... the top one was a shot i took using my cousin's camera... when i showed him the reflection i got with this picture, he wanted me to take that shot on his camera - so we played with the angles... but this was the original shot. I think i got them to look through their camera lenses differently... their early shots were very basic and straight on... funny how we all see the world in so many ways.

Paris again - sorry the upload was out of order. Talk about being at the right place at the right time for a dramatic shot! But just about anything in Paris is picturesque. On this day in particular, the sky was so grey and ominous - yet the sun poked through every now and again. Le Sigh.
Cluny, Paris

Of course hundreds of shots were taken... but i thought these were nice to share.

No comments: