Sunday, April 19, 2009

Today at the Market



Today at the Market

On the days I'm not "feeling it" - i usually stumble upon new things...

Those Green Onion-y looking things with the roots attached: Ramps
they're like wild Leeks
Suzanne Goin from Lucques talks about them
Found them at the Clearwater Farms' stand.
I also got Morels.
those are the honeycomb shaped mushrooms.
apparently they pair up nicely with eggs.


I decided to give Fava Beans a try again. I got the pre-shelled ones.
They are too much work otherwise.

My other spring faves are Green Garlic & Pea shoots.

Citrus & Apples are waning

But Strawberries are in full swing!


I am in a fruit rut at the moment. The only thing out there that is affordable and peaking are Strawberries. I'm done with citrus at the moment... though i got 2 grapefruits... my Pink Lady apples are bruised and getting tired. Stone fruits (plums, peaches...) are still not out yet... so really the only fruit to get now are strawberries...

When i left the house this morning i was really in a bummer of a mood and was depressed there were going to be no fruits... but i'm really celebrating spring in the veggie department. And since I'm trying to cut back on sweets again - i bought a bunch of Casablanca Lilies... spent my $$ on flowers rather than sorbet... i'll look at them as a reminder to not eat sugar (if only).

No comments: